|  Login
Signs & Permits

This page provides information regarding:

  • Moving Day Signs
  • Loading & Standing Zone Signs
  • Garage Sale Permits
  • Block Party & Jumping Jack Permits
  • Special Events
  • Building Permits
  • Public Way Permits (Sidewalk cafes, Canopies & Awnings)

Below are some of our most frequently requested permits.  Please email or give us a call if you have any questions at (773) 278-0101.

Moving Day Signs

The City of Chicago provides No Parking signs for residents moving in or out of the ward.  To request signs, you must call 312-744-4655, or go to City Hall Room 905.  You will need your moving company's federal tax id number, proof of move, a photo ID, and a $25.00 permit fee.  Once the permit is obtained, No Parking signs will be issued to accomodate your movers.


Loading & Standing Zone Signs

Loading and Standing Zones Signs are available to assist businesses in making deliveries and fast service calls throughout Chicago's commercial districts.  A Loading Zone Sign is typically used for businesses receiving deliveries or for valet services.  A Standing Zone Sign is 15 or 30 minute restricted parking for customer use.  Return the above application with at least two photos of the proposed zone in front of your business to the 1st Ward Service Office.

Garage Sale Permits

If you are planning a garage or yard sale, you must have a permit. The permits are free but need to be displayed during the sale. Either stop by our office or complete the Garage Sale Permit Application. Make sure you sign the application and include proof of residency (photocopies are acceptable).   Then either mail or fax the application with photocopies of your proof of residency to the Office of the 1st Ward.


Block Parties

If you are interested in having a Block Party, either download the application or pick one up at our office. Make sure to bring proof of residency when you apply. You must then submit the completed application to our office before it can be approved.  Fax application and photocopies of your proof of residency to (773) 278-2541.  Typically, it takes two weeks to complete the application process.


Respect you neighbors and please abide by the following guidelines for a block party:

  • You are responsible for cleaning up after your party.
  • Inform your neighbors that you will be having a block party in advance, so they may plan accordingly, especially in regards to parking.
  •  Remember to keep your noise to a minimum and comply with the City Noise Ordinance.
  • The city does not provide barricades for block parties. 


Jumping Jacks


A limited number of Jumping Jacks or inflatable moonwalks are available to residents. Jumping jacks are distributed on a first serve basis and will be available for use between May 26th - Sept. 4th. To request an application call the Mayor's Office of Special Events at (312) 744-3315 or visit Room 703 at City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle.

Special Events

If you are planning a special event, please give us a call as requirements can vary with the size and scope of the event. For more information visit the Mayor's Office of Special Events.

Public Way Permits

The City's streets, alleys, sidewalks and parkways are considered to be public rights of way. In order to occupy space on, under or over the public way, you must obtain a public way permit. Applications for use of the public way must be approved by the City Council.


There are more than 150 different types of public way usage. Visit the Department of Revenue for more information.  Below are a few of our most requested permits.

Sidewalk Cafes

If your business would like to serve food outside their restaurant or on city sidewalks, you must apply for a Sidewalk Cafe Permit.


Please download the Sidewalk Application form.  The form must be submitted to our office for approval with certificate of insurance, two copies of pictures of the proposed sidewalk cafe location and layout plan.


For more information, contact the Department of Revenue at (312) 747-9034.

Canopies & Awnings

This program issues permits for use of the public way by companies and individuals wishing to extend canopies or awnings out from the property line over the public right of way.


Applications must include a sketch of the canopy/awning showing the dimensions, size and type materials used. The application must be approved by our office for any canopy/awning extend over the public way in the 1st Ward.


For more information call the Department of Revenue at (312) 747-9035.

More Info

Home | About Ald. Moreno | Service | Local Issues | Zoning | News | Seniors | Directory | Contact

Alderman Proco "Joe" Moreno: 2058 North Western Avenue Chicago, IL 60647 p: (773) 278-0101 f: (773) 278-2541